There really are so many fasting benefits besides weight loss. People have been fasting for centuries for both health and religious reasons. And there’s actually scientific evidence behind these benefits. These are links to just some of the studies touting fasting’s health benefits.
- Fat loss and weight loss! Most notably around your belly. This is probably why most people try intermittent fasting! Fasting increases your metabolic rate.
- Fasting activates autophagy. Autophagy occurs when cells repair themselves. Autophagy is so important that a Nobel Prize in Medicine was awarded in 2016 for the study of the mechanisms of this process.
- Brain Health.
Fasting may have important brain health benefits because it increases the growth of new neurons and can protect the brain from damage.
- Reduction in Type 2 Diabetes
because it helps lower your blood sugar levels thus reducing insulin resistance.
- Reduction in Inflammation and cell damage in the body. This can protect against numerous diseases and can even slow the aging process.
- Heart Health. Because fasting can improve risk factors for heart disease like blood pressure, cholesterol levels, and triglycerides.
- Cancer prevention. There is evidence that fasting’s metabolic changes can lead to the reduced risk of cancer. It may also reduce the side effects of chemotherapy.
- Possible prevention of Alzheimer’s disease. Animal studies have shown that fasting can protect against diseases like Alzheimer’s.
- Longer Life Span. In one animal study, rats that fasted every other day lived 83% longer than non-fasted rats.
- Focus and Increased Mental Sharpness.
This one isn’t hard to understand when you think about the brain fog and sleepiness you feel after eating a huge meal!
So now you know how amazing intermittent fasting for weight loss is, but how do you do it??